Delta Watch has the capability of sending SMS messages to alert the user of alarms. For this Delta Watch can make use of an external web-based SMS service as it is not capable of sending the SMS messages directly from the software. The user need to sign up to the SMS service and is responsible for the correct configuration and for ensuring enough credit is in the account to be able to send the messages.
Word of caution:
Delta Watch does not guarantee that the SMS will arrive as this is the responsibility of the service used.
This article explains how to configure Delta Watch for the preferred SMS service called SMS77 using the minimum required configuration of the service. This service has many options but they fall outside the scope of this document.
For correct opration you need to have at least Delta Watch v2.15.117 installed, if you have a lower version than the latest DW can be obtained from myTopcon.
This is the general workflow, in the rest of the how-to each step is explained in detail.
- Configure DW email server and test [jump to]
- Create SMS77 account, enter your details and make configurations [jump to]
- Enable and configure SMS service in DW [jump to]
- For each project Enter contact details for all recipients [jump to]
- Setup alarming in Point and Limit management [jump to]
- Configure Limits
- Assign limits to point group(s)
- Optional: Validate phone numbers to use by sending test SMS [jump to]
The first requirement is to setup the email server in Delta Watch this is required as DW send an email to the SMS service
- Email server configuration is done in DW under ADMINISTRATION > SYSTEM CONFIGURATION > MAIL SERVER. (See #1 in below image)
- Ensure you use the test function, item 3 in Figure 1, to ensure the email server configuration is correct
Step 2 - Create an account with the SMS provider
- Delta Watch support SMS77 and you can sign up via the web at www.sms77.io.
- In your SMS77 account settings, see #1 + #2 in below image, make sure you enter the senders email address under EMAIL2SMS. (item #3 in below image)
- Make a note of your key as you need to enter this also in DW, see item 4 in image. The key can be freely chosen and should be complex as this protects the access from misuse by third parties. The example ‘testkey’ is not sufficient.
- Optionally an alternative email could be specified in case of errors, we advise to so do. If the option ‘Notify on Error’ is activated error messages will be send to this address.
Step 3 - Enable SMS service in Delta Watch
Step 4 - Enter contact details for each recipient
Step 5 - Setup alarming
- Navigate to ADMINISTRATION > POINT AND LIMIT MANAGEMENT > LIMIT MONITORING
- Define limits or edit existing ones, making sure that for each limit and each level you select who should receive the alarm and via which method(s): email, SMS or both
- Apply your changes
- If you created new limits they need to be assigned to point groups. Navigate to the POINT GROUPS tab and assign your limit(s) to point groups and then Apply your settings. To assign a limit simply select the point group of interest and right click to set a limit.
Step 6 - Optional: Validate phone numbers to use by sending SMS
- Send test SMS from SMS77 web portal. Simply navigate to the NEW SMS section on the SMS77 web portal; enter the recipient phone number and type a short test message. You can send to multiple numbers at once.